Burke Center for Youth would like to extend its most sincere gratitude and appreciation to The Lamar Bruni Vergara Trust who for the last 10 years has donated to our program and has been part in the healing of our children. The Lamar Bruni Vergara Trust has provided support in helping raise awareness about the needs of our foster children in the community. Through the years our agency has been able to seek resources in the community that impact the lives of foster children by providing them the quality care they deserve. Our agency in the Laredo branch has been able to expand our recreational and educational program as well as foster parent recruitment and training opportunities. Our training program provide the best support and guidance for our foster parents so that children are placed in homes that are not only caring but well knowledgeable and prepared. In addition, the Lamar Bruni Vergara Trust has sponsored each year the Christmas party for our foster children where they enjoy the magic of Christmas where their smile is their greatest gift.
The Burke Center Adoption & Foster Agency opened in Dardel Hill Ranch School in September 1973 as a residential treatment center for at risk, abused, neglected, abandoned, disturbed and learning disabled boys, ages six to seventeen. The Child Placing Foster Program was opened in 1990 in Driftwood Texas.
Darden Hill Ranch School was converted to Pathfinders Therapeutic Camp in 1998 and foster care offices opened in Corpus Christi and Laredo Texas between 2001 and 2003. The agency extended the foster care program and opened branches in San Antonio/Austin area as well as Brownwood and Harlingen.
In 2008 Burke Center added an adoption program and five to seven adoptions are consummated each year. There are twenty five boys living in Pathfinders Camp residential treatment and about two hundred eighty infants, children, and adolescents living in private fosters home and adoptive homes at this time.
To promote healing and inspire hope for children in crisis. For the children who have suffered abuse and neglect, we provide safe and loving environments so they may form healthy relationships and look
forward to a brighter future.
All children deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to flourish. Our vision is to rebuild lives and put those we serve on the path to stop the cycle of abuse.
Purpose and Objectives
- End the cycle of abuse and neglect of children in the State of Texas
- Provide treatment services and therapeutic care designed to handle the demands of children and youth that have experienced various types of abuse and neglect with the support from the agency staff, who have the ability and skills to deal with and meet those special needs to aid the children in meeting their full potential.
- Provide housing and remediation of educational, familial, social, physical, psychological, and recreational deficits in children and to prepare them for their future lives by giving them memorable experiences indoors and outdoors.
- Provide emotional nurturing and structured home environment to children.
- Provide food, clothing, school supplies and recreation to children.
Transport children to and from necessary medical appointments, court appointments, and other necessary visitation appointments.