J. C. “Joe” Martin, III
J. C. “Joe” Martin, III received his Bachelor of Arts in Economics from St. Mary’s University in San Antonio in 1962 and attended The University of Texas Law School from 1962-64.
Upon returning to Laredo, he started a property/casualty insurance business.
In 1966, he merged with other businesses, forming Insurance Associates.
Industrially, Martin was involved in early residential development and participated in developing a warehouse district, which today is still home to the Industrial Bonded Warehouses.
Similarly, he also delved into highway construction, materials production and retail service stations. Martin was also involved in different partnerships leading to the creation of the current 825-acre UNITEC Industrial Complex and to the formation of Lobo Resources, LTD. The oil and gas company conducted serious exploration ventures in south Texas.
He is a Trustee of the Bruni Mineral Trust which manages ever 160,000 mineral acres in Webb in Zapata counties. He is also a manager of family partnerships in La Salle County, holding over 20,000 mineral acres in the Eagle Ford Shale Play.
Martin is also involved in banking and succeeded his grandfather and his father as a director of The Laredo National Bank, which is now Compass Bank.
He has also maintained an active civic life by serving as a Co-Trustee for the Lamar Bruni Vergara Trust since 1996, succeeding his father, J.C. Martin, Jr., in this capacity.
Martin has also served as president of the Laredo Jaycees, a member of Laredo’s first Rotary Club and still serves as a board member for United Day School. He holds the distinction of being the youngest person ever to serve as president for the Washington’s Birthday Celebration.
James H. Pearl
James Pearl was born July 9, 1937 in Laredo, Texas, and lived in Hebbronville until his father died in 1942. He and his mother then lived with his maternal grandparents in Beaumont until his mother remarried in 1946 and he became an “Army brat,” moving from Beaumont to Wisconsin, back to Texas, then to Japan and back to Texas to finish high school. With the encouragement of his step father, he attended the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York.
Graduating in 1960, Pearl was commissioned in the Army serving in the 5th, 7th and 8th Special Forces. He taught improvised bomb disposal at the Inter American Police Academy and directed the Special Forces Explosive Development Lab in Panama. He left the Army in 1965 and was employed by the Explosives Department of E. I. DuPont with experience in development at the Potomac River Development Lab and in mining and construction across the southern and western United States.
In 1967, Pearl entered St Mary’s University Law School, graduated and became a licensed lawyer. Soon after graduation, he associated and practiced law with Judge Solomon Casseb, Jr. who became his mentor, teacher and partner for 40-plus years. Upon Judge Casseb’s death, Pearl succeeded him as a Co-Trustee of the Lamar Bruni Vergara Trust.
During the years of his law practice, James participated in a number of entrepreneurial activities including auto parts stores, importation of robotics, auto dealerships, banking and real estate investment. He has and continues to serve as an officer, director and managing director of several businesses.
James is married to Kay and they have three children and six grandchildren. James and Kay reside in San Antonio and also engage in wildlife management at their property in LaSalle County.